update as of 4/13/2020
Dear friends of American Dance Awards,
It is with great sadness we announce the cancellation of the 2020 National Championship scheduled in Orlando, FL July 9-16, 2020. This decision was made based on a very realistic projection of this pandemic, along with following suit of other major sporting events that have either canceled or postponed their scheduled July events. The health and safety of your dancers and their families comes first.
As former dance studio owners ourselves, we feel that during a crisis like this, your health and business should come first! Decisions you need to make should be based on what is best for your business, your dancers and your families. We also realize there are many challenges ahead for you including rescheduling recitals, costumes, registration for next season and most importantly, a specific date in which we still do not have a definitive answer as to when we can all reopen for business.
American Dance Awards does not want to add to your stress thinking about the Nationals and trying to get families to agree on travel and plans to compete in July as there are bigger priorities. This pandemic has hit us all in many ways, and we feel that many people will not feel comfortable socially or even be financially capable of attending a Nationals.
We are committed to working through this with you, as we all know American Dance Awards is not going anywhere...so lets get through this together and look forward to a healthy and prosperous 2021!
Below is a list of answers to questions you and your dance families might have:
1. Any one night non-refundable Villa Deposit is being processed and will be credited to the original card used in 10-15 days. If not on your April statement, please contact the hotel.
2. All reservations made through the ADA block have been canceled. There is no reason to call the hotel to cancel unless you made the reservation directly with the hotel or through a 3rd party outside of the ADA block. An email will be going out to all with a reservation.
3. Airfare already booked for Nationals should have no problem receiving a credit or a refund. ADA is not responsible for non-refundable airfares. Our 2021 Nationals are in Hollywood, FL at the Diplomat Resort, so if you are not a frequent traveler you can always use the airline credit for that travel next year, as an option.
4. If government agencies make decisions consistent with us to hold an event prior to September, we will address the situation and if possible have a National event in the Northeast. We do not want to get into any specifics, as it would be speculative at this time.
5. If we have a Nationals this summer, it will be open to any studio that wants to participate, no regional qualification necessary.
6. America’s Dancer of the Year event is by invitation only and all 2020 Ultimate Challenge Winners are invited. Dancers that participated in our National Title events in 2018 and/or 2019 will be considered qualified and will be invited to participate. We will also have an adjudicated video submission, where an Ultimate Challenge medal standing would need to be achieved for an invite to the 2020 event.
7. If we do not have a Nationals in 2020...the 2019 America’s Dancer of the Year National Winners will give up their titles at the 2021 Nationals in Hollywood, Florida!
8. We will post updates as we get more information and we would like nothing more than seeing you at a 2020 Championship, but health and safety come first. ADA in Class should not be affected and will be held in the fall as planned.
Thank you for understanding and we hope to see you soon. We are praying for you all to stay safe and healthy!
American Dance Awards & our dedicated Staff
update as of 4/10/2020
hello ADA & cda Family –
We are reaching out to connect with you during these difficult times. As we all navigate through uncharted waters, we hope you can find some solace in knowing that you are not alone. Our dance community is strong, and we will get through this – together!
At our company, we work diligently to give you the experience you deserve from start to finish, and a large part of that experience is safety. In light of the rapidly changing landscape regarding COVID-19, we find it necessary to make informed decisions as we go.
2020 Regional Tour
In accordance with current CDC guidelines and health advisories, American Dance Awards and Canadian Dance Awards will be suspending all events through May 2020.
If you have not received it already, all studios in events cancelled due to COVID-19 will be issued a 100% refund. We feel strongly about the decision not to issue credits or hold money at this time.
We are committed to working through this with you, as we know the impact this pandemic has on your businesses. We appreciate your patience as we explore our options in terms of rescheduling events. We remain hopeful and optimistic, but all decisions will ultimately be made with safety of everyone involved as the priority.
Our company is built on three pillars: integrity, education, and inspiration. We produce events that are not solely focused on the medals and awards. The spirit of inspiration, connection, and community is at the core of our events. We strongly feel that paid video submission for a medal only is counter-intuitive to the American Dance Awards and Canadian Dance Awards culture. We believe that competition is a teaching tool to help students and teachers be the best they can be, and we feel that is accomplished through live participation.
We will make every effort to stay in communication with studios as we navigate the coming weeks and months. We commend you all for the measures Studio Owners and Teachers have taken to transition your schools into virtual dance education, whether it be through Zoom classes, Instagram and Facebook live videos, the fun and creative ways they’ve engaged dance families to keep dancing in their homes – your dance studios are the heart of this community and have kept it beating stronger than ever. Thank you, Studio Owners and Teachers!
Dancers, we really miss you! Let’s stay connected – be sure to follow us on Instagram and Facebook! Keep practicing and training at home, and know that nothing can take away your love for dance. That is yours to keep!
From all of your friends at American Dance Awards and Canadian Dance Awards, we are sending you our well wishes. We appreciate your support and patience, and we can’t wait for the day when we see your kids’ passion shining on our stages once again.
Stay healthy, and we will be dancing together soon.
The Directors & Staff of
American Dance Awards & Canadian Dance Awards